Friday, July 13, 2012

Something about Eternal Life – Core Belief Number 11

I suppose that no set of religious beliefs would be complete without some thoughts on what happens in the hereafter. What happens when we die? In that respect, this becomes Core Belief number 11.

Earlier this year, Martin Mosse challenged me to describe my views on “What’s it all about?” So far I have made two attempts to start it. At the second attempt, I made more headway, but it is still definitely “Work-in-Progress”, but let me have a third attempt.

I guess that the starting point has to be that I believe that something happens when we die. It is not all over. To expand this statement, we continue in some form, although what that form is, is a matter of considerable debate, even in the inner workings of Grumpy’s brother’s mind.

If there were no after-life, then almost every prophet and writer in both the Old and New Testaments would be wrong on this point, in which case we can throw the Bible away and start looking for inspiration on the back of Cornflakes packets. The prophets and writers all indicate some form of after-life.

Secondly, this after-life involves seeing God in some way. I do not know what this means exactly, and I cannot imagine what form or shape God takes. But I’ll leave this statement as it is, with all its ambiguities and unknowns.

Thirdly, this after-life involves some form of comprehension of “What it has all been about” (to misquote Martin Mosse), a moment when it all seems so obvious and when we recognise that that much or most of what we believed beforehand will seem to be ridiculous.  

Fourthly, I believe that the Earth as we know it will not play any part in our after-life. Whether the earth and universe etc. will carry on or not or the whole universe closed down as having served its purpose, I don’t know. But it was only context in the first place. (It does seem such a profligate waste, doesn’t it.)

On this point though, the evidence from the Bible leaves me reeling in terms of possibilities. I will not try to justify this particular belief from the Bible, as there are other views, probably all equally supportable from the Bible. So I will stick with my personal preconceptions and prejudices.

Of course, the question that preoccupies us is what happens to us. We only rarely ask the question of what does God get out of all this? Why did He do all this, because the answer to what happens in the here-after is bound up in God’s objectives in all this. This is really a puzzle.

Does God’s work really finish what this world is over? 13 billion years (or whatever the latest figure is) to get to this point, 50,000 years of man and that’s it? ….and then eternity, which seems to me like a very long time, even compared with 13 billion years.

Perhaps, we are not really meant to know just yet what it is all about.