Monday, October 15, 2012

Peace on Earth

Barak Obama has been in office for nearly four years now and I recollect being struck by part of one of his early speeches as President. The part that I remembered went something like “…and peace on earth, which is God’s will for all men”.

I had been meaning to write something about this for some time now, but had not got around to it, until earlier this year, when The Church of England held its annual conference (“Synod”).

I do not remember the specific nature of the Synod debate, which I only followed for a few minutes. However, in that time, I was reminded how divided the Protestant Church is, or at least appears to be, on so many questions. The particular thought that struck me at the time was Church Unity. The members will, no doubt, have prayed for Church unity, which they will have regarded as self-evidently God’s will. This brings me back to Barak Obama.

Christians would probably consider both matters to be “God’s Will” (“Peace on Earth” and “Church Unity”) and as self-evident. Obama has biblical back-up for his statement (although there is a large amount of empirical evidence against it), with, for example, the Angel Gabriel’s announcement to the Shepherds, on the birth of Jesus. In this case, Gabriel added “peace to all men,….with whom He is well pleased”.

If these two matters are God’s will, then He is not having much success at the moment. Actually it is questionable whether He has ever had much success in these areas. There are plenty of other examples.

Of course, it is right to pray about these matters, but looking at the history books, one wonders why there is so little external success. The 20th century set a historical record when it came to deaths and suffering in wars, under dictators of various kinds. The 21st Century so far has some way to catch up, but there is plenty of time yet.

My purpose here is not to discuss the effectiveness or otherwise of prayer, rather to make the observation that God does not seem to be involved in these areas. I baulk at suggesting that He might be indifferent as to the outcome (Jesus made almost no comments about the secular set-up of the world). And we hesitate to think that they are not God’s will, but if they are not, then what is His Will?

I tread on very difficult and dangerous territory here. Christians spend a lot of energy praying about these and other matters, and then apologising for God and making excuses for Him (and blaming themselves), whether these are in relation to personal matters and matters that touch us directly or whether these are general matters in the world at large.

As citizens of this world, we attach a great deal of importance on what goes on generally. But what if we have misunderstood the nature of this world? What if this world is only context for our own lives?

He created us for his own pleasure and not the other way around. He has chosen us, and not the other way around. My thought is that in praying for matters that matter to us, but never happen, we fail to understand the nature of God’s purpose. I am not sure that I know what His purpose is, but it does not appear to be Peace on Earth or Church Unity.

So I’m looking somewhere else. While I am trying to find out what my job here on earth is, I remind God (very humbly, you understand) that some things are His job and that if He doesn’t do them, then I am not trying either.

There’s a cop-out for you.